Breaking News Stories From the East Haven Area

An airport fire erupted at Tweed airport on Sunday, May 4. The airport, located on the East Haven-New Haven border, saw bush fires break out causing black smoke to rise. The fires broke out in multiple locations but the cause is currently unknown. The New Haven Fire Department was on the scene first and was able to stop the fires from damaging any buildings in the area. New Haven Fire Department Chief John Alston told NBC "New Haven Fire Department and Tweed personnel attacked it from multiple directions in an effort to protect the airport and surrounding properties.” The fire was noticeable all around the center of EH, causing a lot of attention from curious citizens. Many videos and pictures were taken of the event, before it was quickly over thanks to the work of the NH Fire Department.

On March 31st, East Haven Police Lt. Joseph Murgo responded to an attempted car robbery at the Forbes Premium Fuel on Frontage Road in EH. The owner of the vehicle was making a purchase at the window when a white man around 5'4" wearing a red and gray sweatshirt ran over to her pickup truck and got in. The victim told police she was, "able to get her vehicle back from the male suspect after a struggle, which resulted in an accident in the parking lot”. Once the woman had control of her vehicle the suspect took off on foot. Police concluded the suspect was a man named Nicholas Gambardella; He was tracked down, and found, at a Quality Inn motel on East Frontage Road. After being arrested Gambardella was charged with Criminal Attempt at Robbery in the Third Degree, Criminal Attempt at Larceny in the First Degree, Assault in the Third Degree Reckless Endangerment in the First Degree, and Criminal Mischief in the Third Degree. Gambardella was held on a $75,000 bond, but no further information was released about his sentencing.

At 5:30 p.m. on March 10th, police officer Joe Carangelo was called down by a concerned citizen who reported a possible shoplifting in progress at TJ Maxx, 68 E, Frontage Road. Police officers witnessed the suspects drive off in a black 2013 Chevy Silverado, which was stolen previously from West Haven. They drove recklessly up I-95 into Branford, causing the Branford Police Department to intervene. They exited the highway at exit 54, before going back toward 95 where they managed to disable the car that was coming off the highway. The car ended up crashing, resulting in a foot chase between the suspects and officers. One suspect was able to escape on foot by dangerously crossing all four lanes on I-95, while the other two girls were caught by Officers Carangelo and Anthony Fiorillo. Both Tracey M. Biggs, 23, and Antania Nichelle Hall, 18, were charged with second-degree larceny, interfering with an officer, fifth-degree larceny, and conspiracy to commit. No information about time sentencing has been released due to COVID-19 slowing down police work.